Monday 3 November 2014

Autumn in Tokyo

Hello, all!

October has flown by, and we're already in November! Even though I have yet to grasp it completely, Tokyo has fully embraced the new month.
October is Halloween-everything in Japan. All the shops and merchandise, and even the trains, get a Halloween make-over. In the konbinis there are full shelves of limited Halloween stock, such as drinks, snacks and gadgets.
And we can't forget all the costumes! Lots of people in Tokyo love to dress up, so it's no wonder Halloween is so popular here. In fact, many businesses such as hair salons and restaurants have their staff wear costumes, and even host Halloween parties with regular customers!
Shibuya is Tokyo's hot spot when it comes to trends and night life, and every weekend in October there's a crazy street party where everyone's invited, and you see people in amazing costumes everywhere. Of course, this year the actual Halloween day (let's remember, Halloween is actually just one day, even though it's celebrated for a month) fell on a Friday, and the crowd went totally crazy, and the famous Shibuya scramble (a huge cross-over) was so packed that people couldn't move, and stopped traffic. Police officers went around and, unsuccessfully, tried to control the chaos.
This is what I've been told by friends and heard and read in the news though; I was unable to go myself, since I (sigh) have school on Saturday.

This video from Tokyo Fashion gives you a pretty good idea of what's going on:


Anyway, now it's November and everything changed in an instant.
The 1st of November I could not see any Halloween decorations in any shop window.
However, Japanese businesses still need a campaign to sell their products, so by now everything has been replaced with "Winter Collection" and "Happy winter!" When I was out shopping with a friend yesterday, we even spotted Christmas decorations, and one of the shops were playing Christmas songs!

Sophie and I went to Harajuku, which is still my favorite shopping place in the world, and my favorite Tokyo neighborhood. We even took some pictures for the occasion!

Since it's my birthday the 4th  of November, Sophie bought me one of the fameous Harajuku crèpes as a pre-birthday celebration :D

Harajuku crèpes are absolutely awesome, and a must-try! You can buy them from the various crèpe stands all over the neighborhood. They come in many crazy variations. The one I have here was filled with strawberry ice-cream, whipped cream, strawberry jam, a piece of cheesecake and sprinkles! 

Later when we were walking to the train station, we met these awesome furry people! They were promoting the shop Momo by Wonder Rocket, and I happen to be a very good customer at that place. Anyway, they were happy to take pictures with us, and luckily both my shirt and skirt were from that brand, so we made a classy trio ^w^

That's it for now! Hope you enjoyed a more general post about life in Japan. I'm currently living a very ordinary, everyday life, so I'm often unsure of what to blog about. 

Talk to you later!

2 comments:

  1. Ja, superartig å les meir "hverdagslige" innlegg! :D

    ReplyDelete